Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Freedom

30 Days of Thankful 2014 - Day 5 - FREEDOM
Everyone remembers exactly where they were and what they were doing on 9-11-2001, when we received word that two planes had flown into the twin towers.  I was working with a small group of children in a kindergarten class while the classroom teacher worked with another group.  Her phone rang and she answered it, expecting to get word on her young son, who was sick.  As I saw her facial expression register disbelief, I naturally thought that she needed to leave to be with him.  She hung up the phone, and told me that her husband had just called to tell her about the terrorist attack.  With my brother and his family living in NYC, I was anxious to get word that they were safe, so I left her room to try to find a television where I could watch the broadcast.

The rest of the day was a blur of bad news, snippets of news broadcasts, Air Force One flying overhead. . .  and fear.  The FREEDOM that we had always taken for granted, suddenly seemed in danger.  When I arrived home, I turned on the tv and watched for hours on end, trying to make sense of what had just happened.  However, I distinctly remember that at some point on that first day, I watched a live broadcast of many of our nation's leaders gathering on the front steps of the Capitol and singing "God Bless America".  It was an emotional moment, and a reminder of the FREEDOM we enjoy, and how blessed we are to enjoy it.

Before almost every race that I have ever participated in or attended, there is a moment when all the runners stop and turn their attention to the American Flag as the Star Spangled Banner is sung.   It never fails to move me---in the midst of chaos and excitement, every person stops, turns to our flag, and are once again reminded how very blessed we are to experience such FREEDOM.
What will you find today that depicts FREEDOM to you?   Is it a patriotic symbol, an open door or perhaps something more personal?
Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature