Sunday, November 9, 2014

Books

30 Days of Thankful 2014 - Day 9 - BOOKS
What was your favorite BOOK as a child?  I loved the Nancy Drew series and read each and every one that our church library had available.  Then, I made my way through all the Hardy Boys BOOKS. When I was very young, I remember going downtown to the Shreve Memorial library and the Book Mobile regularly, particularly in the summer and recording every BOOK that I read on the Summer Reading Series forms.

As I got older, I had to spent more time reading for school and had less time to read for enjoyment, but when time allowed, I still loved reading.  Unfortunately, these days, my time for reading has really dwindled.   I get so busy doing other things and once I begin a BOOK that I really enjoy, I have a hard time putting it down to sleep.   These days, my reading is mostly confined to traveling or in the summer or breaks from school.
As a teacher, I truly believe that the single best thing parents can do to help their child learn is to read to them.  What they read to them when young is less important than the fact that they model a love for BOOKS and that they enjoy the special time spent together.  Baby "Dean" is only 3 months old, but his mama and daddy are already reading to him.  If it is a tiny book that he can actually hold (and possibly get into his mouth), all the better.  :-)

What stash of BOOKS is keeping your attention right now?  Is there a stack on your bedside table or your coffee table?


Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature