Thursday, June 4, 2009

Sewing Machine Meme

Sew Mama Sew is hosting a sewing machine meme in the hopes of giving people a way to research different brands. I must admit that all this talk about sewing machines and their features makes me want to go shopping! So here she is . . . . . .and here are my answers to the survey:

What brand and model do you have?

I have a Janome Memory Craft 5700 sewing machine

How long have you had it?

I have had it for about 11-12 years (wow, I can't believe that!)

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?

I don't remember exactly, but I think it was about $1500--a BIG purchase for me!!

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?

You name it, I sew it. I used to mostly do children's clothes (I even had my own business), but now that my girls have grown up, I do quilting, home decorating projects and occasional clothes for them. I recently made both of their wedding dresses.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?

I go in spurts, but my machine is used just about every week, I think. Sometimes, those projects last several days, because when I get started on something, I have a hard time putting it away for later and often sew for hours to get things finished.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?

I like my sewing machine. I used to love it, but right now, it's giving me fits while trying to free-motion quilt. I think I need to take it in for a good cleaning and general service. No name---just sewing machine.

What features does your machine have that work well for you?

When the girls were younger, I used the embroidery part a good bit, but not so much anymore. I like how easy it is to thread and use---it has a digital display screen that is very easy and the bobbin is easy to access. I like the carrying handle, too, because I sometimes take it with me to travel to my friend's or daughter's homes to sew for them.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?

Right now, it is driving me nuts that the top thread keeps breaking while machine quilting. I have changed needles, threads, cleaned the bobbin area, etc. and it hasn't helped. The other thing that drives me nuts on a regular basis is the fact that in order to fill the bobbin, you have to unthread the machine and even unplug the presser foot.

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

Well, the only exciting story to go with my machine happened about 8-9 years ago. I don't remember what I was sewing, but for some reason, I got my hand WAY too close to the needle and the needle went into my left pointer finger and broke. There was not blood until I pulled the needle out, but unfortunately, part of it was broken off in my finger (and is still in there). I healed and have been much more careful since then. Embarrassingly enough, that's not the only time I've run over my finger with a needle---when I was a little girl (probably 10 or 11 years old) I was sewing on my mother's old White Sewing machine. The machine seemed to suddenly "go haywire" and ran over the end of my finger. The needle went in and back out of the very tip. It hurt and scared me, but otherwise I was alright. However, my dad was so upset about it that he came home with a brand new sewing machine for my mother the next day!

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?

Yes, it is actually a great machine! It is so easy to use and makes nice stitches. Although I haven't priced machines lately, at the time I bought it, it was MUCH more affordable than some of the other embroidery machines.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?

Nice stitches---particularly straight and zig-zag since those are what are used the most; Ease of operation--if you have to get the manual out every time you want to switch between basic stitches, it's not worth it; Easy to operate buttonhole maker; Options of presser feet;

Do you have a dream machine?

Not a particular model, but I would love to have a machine that can also do quilting more easily than my current machine.

Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature