Friday, June 19, 2009

Backyard Overhaul

Earlier this week, when I was practicing with my new camera, I took these pictures. Emmi looks pretty cute and the colors are vivid. But, all I could see was what was BEHIND Emmi. When you get up closer, this is what you see--- A jungle!Every year since we moved here, I've battled this jungle. Several years ago, I got outside and worked so hard clearing the weeds and vines and digging a flowerbed. That summer, the area looked pretty good. But, since then I've waged a war with the Virginia Creeper, Ivy and even poison ivy. In the early spring, I usually make some sort of effort to clear it and kill it, using any kind of weed killer I can find. So far, nothing has been very effective. And this year I haven't gotten out there at all, so it has become a wild jungle.

But, wait! What's this out by the curb?Yep, the battle is on again! Today, two young men from my church came and worked out there for 4 hours! I kept Erick and Jamahl supplied with ice water, cokes and food-- (and $) and in return, this is what that area looks like now.Amazing, isn't it?!?!Emmi wasn't at all sure what to think about the transformation. In fact, she was pretty scared of the cement block that was uncovered. She wouldn't go near it until I went over and put something on top of it.I still have LOTS of work to do back there. Tonight I'll spray it once again with weed killer (while Emmi is safely inside) and hope that this time the stubborn weeds will die. After that, I'd like to cover it with landscape fabric and then a layer of mulch. Finally, I hope to put in some low-maintenance shrubs that will provide a little color and less work. Any suggestions for a north-facing bed in the deep south?
Be First to Post Comment !
JJB said...

Oh my goodness!!! That's amazing!! They must have worked really hard. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature