Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Place for Everything

When I saw this picture in one of the special decorating issues of Better Homes and Gardens Creative (makeover style), I loved the way the jewelry was displayed. Since I inherited lots of my mother's costume jewelry, finding a way to store the things that I wear the most has been a challenge. This seemed like a great solution for at least part of the collection. After looking through the frames that I have and I wasn't really liking all the different styles and wood tones, so I decided to go with a monochromatic look instead. I pulled out a mirror I bought a while back that I've never used and gave the frame a shot of white spray paint, leaving some of the silver showing through. Then I painted a few other wooden frames I had and dusted them with a little bit of silver acrylic paint to accent the designs.Using some scrapbook papers that match my bedroom I covered sturdy cardboard and inserted them in the frames (minus the glass). On this one, I used bits and pieces of ribbon and decorative brads (from the scrapbook section at Joann's) to make an earring holder.And here's my favorite part--I found some really pretty doorknobs at Hobby Lobby for 50% off! Isn't that glass one great (it's actually clear despite the yellow tint in the photo)??? I had to remove the screw stem so that I could super-glue them to the backgrounds. The first one came off fairly easily--just unscrewed and then I put plain stem part back on. But the next two were much more challenging. The blue one (which I painted white) had to be cut off.

I laid them all out on freezer paper to get the arrangement that I liked the best. I decided to include a wreath that I made years ago with white buttons. Then, I just taped the paper to the wall and hammered tiny holes to mark where the hangers should be. I removed the paper,
installed the hangers and . . .
Voila'!
Here's my new jewelry storage wall. My bedroom is sort of "cottage style", but I think this could be also look really nice in a modern home with black frames and clean lines.
Be First to Post Comment !
debbie said...

I love it! It is fabulous!!!

JJB said...

oh fancy fancy!! love it!

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature