Monday, April 28, 2008

Imagine

"What God intended for you goes far beyond anything you can imagine." --Oprah Winfrey


Imagine. . . . Wow, I could get lost in that thought. In fact, I do---fairly regularly. Today, I am imagining a program at our church that teaches literacy to adults from our neighborhood.

It all started with a simple "Can I ask you a question?" from one of the students in my Sunday School class. I teach a class for mentally challenged adults and yesterday only one student was there. "L" is a wonderful lady who lives in the neighborhood and manages her own apartment. She has just enrolled in adult literacy classes at Centenary College and is so proud to be going. Once before she attended the classes for a while, but eventually stopped going for some reason. "L" has explained to me several time previously that she "can't read too good" and I can tell that it is a source of embarrassment for her. Yesterday she explained to me that she needs her teenage daughter to help her study, but she hasn't been around very much, so she is struggling because the list of words is so long. After talking to her for a while, I proposed the idea of working with her on her word lists in the extra time between Sunday School and Worship each week (usually about 30-45 minutes) and she seemed really excited about the idea. I suggested that she get her daughter to call me with the list of words and I would make some study aids that she could use at home.

Then, last night "L" called me. She said that her daughter hadn't been home yet, and she couldn't read the list to me, but she could spell them to me. And so she did. All 62 of them!! I quickly discovered that the "words" were actually bits of words in most cases---three letter combinations with short vowels. And she can't read any of them yet. And is desperate to learn!

So, now I imagine a program where I can help her---and others like her---learn to read.
Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature