Thursday, April 3, 2008

Blossoms and Blooms

"Where flowers bloom, so does hope." ---Lady Bird Johnson

Last weekend, the wildflowers down in south Texas were beautiful, as usual. The bluebonnets were in full bloom.

As were the Indian Paintbrush.

There were even fields of buttercups.

When I got back home, my azaleas were in full bloom, too. I love the "peppermint azalea" that is in my front flowerbed. I don't really know what the correct name for it is, but it reminds me so much of a peppermint, the name just seems to fit. Several years ago, I went to a couple of local nurseries looking for more of these, but had no luck. One horticulturist finally told me that this variety is only found in florist shops, grocery stores, etc. and that it never grows in outdoor soil. Ha! I guess she'd never seen this one! Jim gave it to me about 12 or 13 years ago---a very small plant that he'd picked up at Albertson's. After enjoying it inside for several weeks, I decided to plant it in the front flowerbed and see what happened. As you can see, it really likes it there. And while I've tried a few more without much luck, I finally have another small one that is growing in a side bed. It's only about 2 feet tall right now, but maybe in a few years it will be as large as this one (which is about 4-5 feet across).
Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature