Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I Remember Barbie

When I was a little girl, my very favorite toys were any kind of dolls--baby dolls, collectible dolls, Little Kittles and of course Barbie dolls. I played with dolls until I was way too old to admit it, but because one of my closest friends was a few years younger than me, I could get away with it (for her sake, of course).

When I saw this commercial posted on OliveRue, I couldn't help but remember the countless hours Kathy and I spent playing with our dolls. Although we never had a fancy house like this, we had lots of fun converting shoe boxes and constructing furniture from cardboard. My grandmother hand-sewed a complete wardrobe for my dolls and even made a couple of things for me to match my doll--we had pretty pink nightgowns and corduroy robes. In addition to Barbie, I had a Midge. Midge had blue eyes and freckles, just like me, so when my mother cut my hair into a short "pixie" haircut, I felt Midge needed the same thing. I lopped off the permanent "flip" that she had and even chopped away at her bangs (I didn't have bangs). I pretty much ruined her look, and soon learned that her bangs would NOT grow back, but I loved her anyway.

All this reminiscing about Barbie makes me wonder where my Midge is? And where is my Barbie autograph book? Hmmm. . . .
Be First to Post Comment !
Callie said...

No offense, Mama, but Midge's eyes are so blue that they're kind of scary looking.

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature