Sunday, August 9, 2009

Facing Terror

Today, I heard Carrie McDonnall of Carry On Ministries speak. She was here for the first event that my good friend, Debbie hosted as part of her new ministry, Journey of Sisters. Carrie tells her amazing story in a book, Facing Terror . I haven't yet read her book, but after hearing her speak, I feel that I should. In 2004, she and her husband were serving as relief workers in Iraq when they were ambushed by terrorists. Their three companions were killed instantly, and her husband David survived long enough for them to reach medical attention.

To see her live through this ordeal is a miracle in itself. But after hearing about the injuries she sustained, and the circumstances that brought her to safety, I realize that there are so many miracles in her story. Carrie has faced unbelievable tragedy, excruciating surgeries, rehabilitation and the kind of heartache that some people never recover from. Yet, she chooses to believe that even the worst tragedy will be used for "good". Instead of feeling bitter and sorry for herself, she is determined to be sure that her story helps others through difficult times.

As I listened to her speak, I kept thinking about the fact that at the time of the attack, she was only a year or two older than Jana! Her mother was there with her today---she is facing her own battle with ovarian cancer. I don't know why things like this happen to people--it's one of many questions I plan to ask one day. But, I do know that Carrie has already made a difference to so many people.
Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature