Monday, June 10, 2013

A Quick Breakfast

As you have learned, having someone to cook for has significantly increased my desire to cook!  When the girls were teenagers, they were going so many different directions that it seemed we often lived in the car.  Seldom did I actually cook.  Then, with an empty nest, it just rarely seemed worth the effort to cook a meal.  But, lately, it's been a lot more fun.

A few weeks ago, a couple of coworkers and I had a "Pinterest Challenge" week which featured different recipes we had pinned.  These Breakfast Omelet Muffins were a hit with everyone at the office and again at home.

I had a few left over and just kept them in the freezer so that Ron could pull out a couple to pop into the microwave.  His request---add some jalapenos.

After spending our gift cards at Bed Bath & Beyond this morning, I came home with a brand new cutting board, oven mitts and a muffin pan that were just begging to be used.   (got a few other things, too---hooray)
Photo
Deciding on a variation of the previous Omelet muffins, I preheated the oven to 375 degrees, then, I cut out small circles (using one of my vintage Swanky Swigs) of whole wheat bread and placed them in the bottom of the muffin pan.

I put the scraps into a plastic bag to store in the freezer for our next trip to the duck pond with the grandkids.

Next, I lined each muffin tin with a piece of bacon.  A strip of bacon seemed too long, so I cut them in half--unfortunately, that was too short.  Yes, I should have just measured, but I didn't, so I had to cut another piece to finish them up.  Take my word for it--just use one piece per muffin cup.

Next, I dropped some bell peppers, red and green, in along with some diced jalapenos. (these will definitely be for Ron, not me).  You can add cheese or whatever you like, but this is what I used.





I scrambled some eggs, along with a little bit of milk and poured them into each muffin cup.  For this 12-muffin tin, it took 8 eggs.


I wasn't sure how long to cook them, so I just set the timer and kept checking it until they were done.  It took 20 minutes until the eggs were cooked, but if you wanted things a little crispier, you could cook them a little longer.

As soon as they are cool enough, pop them out and into a plastic bag for the freezer.

Breakfast is done for a while!  I think these would be perfect to take camping, I hope to get the chance to try that out this fall.


Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature