Sunday, June 17, 2012

Wall Art for Me!

After helping Jana with the Let's Eat art for her kitchen, I cam home inspired to finally complete a project for myself--one I'd bought the supplies for several weeks ago.   For summer, I replaced my regular mantel directions with things that I thought would give a lighter feel.  I purchased the old window at Round Top with my mantel in mind.  Unfortunately, it lose a pane of glass sometime between there and here, but I prefer to think that it adds character.

My idea for the canvas was to also do something in shades of white with the words of one of my favorite songs on it.   I began by painting the whole canvas white and then brushed on some blue and red randomly on the canvas.  (I don't have any photos of those steps, however)   I then layered pale yellow and off-white paint laving areas where the darker colors showed through.   I used Mod-Podge to atatch bits of rick-rack, tulle and even a bit of gauze before adding a splotchy layer of white paint.



Using my Cricut, I cut out the words to "Beautiful Things" by Gungor out of a photocopied piece of vintage sheet music.   Without thinking, I first used masking tape to line the letters up with even spacing---that's what I've always done with vinyl lettering.  Of course, these were made of paper instead of vinyl, so of course they stuck to the tape, tearing off parts of the music.   I decided that I kind of liked the way that looked however.   I painted a coat of Mod-Podge over the entire canvas and let it dry.





I'm not sure I love the shiny finish the Mod-Podge left---I think I like the rougher look from "before" better, so I might try it again someday.  But, for now, it's hanging in my living room and I'm enjoying the message it brings.



P. S.    At first, I was going to use the "out of dust" part, but then thought that it might become a reference to my inept housekeeping skills.  :-)

And, just in case you want to listen to the song:
Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature