Sunday, June 6, 2010

DIY, Part 2

I bet you can't wait to see the other projects that Jana and I worked on, right?!?! Our first project was to make a set of pendants for her to use in her classroom. When she returns to school in the fall, one of the first units she teaches will be about negative numbers. So, we picked out some awesome fabric that would match the other accents her room.
From Mommy's Treasures

I cut out triangles with pinking shears while Jana printed out a page of numerals in her favorite font. Since it only took a couple of minutes to cut out all the flags, (I used that secret method called stacking, right Jana ?) I went ahead and sewed the bias tape to the top. After cutting out the numerals, Jana just ironed them right on.
From Mommy's Treasures

It looks great and is sure to be a lot more fun to look at that your typical number line!

From Mommy's Treasures

For the next project, Jana wanted to design a pocket area where she could keep assignments for students that have been absent. I remembered this great tutorial for a mail organizer and we decided we could adapt this to work for her. And adapt we did----but, of course, not without error. Since Jana needed 5 pockets instead of 2, we decided to make our own frame using canvas stretching strips and a half yard of canvas. Anna's tutorial is great and the printable pattern is perfect-----if you follow her directions, which of course I didn't. I failed to enlarge the pattern to scale, so our pockets ended up being much narrower than planned. In the end, it involved another trip to Hobby Lobby to exchange the stretcher bars for different sizes, but look how great it turned out in the end!!
From Mommy's Treasures

From Mommy's Treasures

I love it and wish I could have brought one home on the airplane for myself.

Be First to Post Comment !
American Quilter's Society said...

What a great idea! The kids in the fall will love them!

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature