Monday, August 11, 2008

Window Treatments vs. Curtains

I don't know exactly when it happened, but somewhere along the way those things hanging on the windows that I grew up calling "curtains" (or "drapes" in the fancy houses) have become known as "window treatments". I am in awe of the conversations amongst friends (mostly at church) that revolve around decorating and the fabric/style of their window treatments. Now, maybe this is something like allergies were when I was a kid. My mom used to tell me that only rich kids had allergies---the rest of us had a cold!! Perhaps that's why I still call the coverings on my own windows "curtains".

But, nevertheless, I spent a good part of the weekend making new window coverings for Callie and Jordan's apartment. Always looking for a good deal, I set out on a mission to make stylish curtains on a budget. First, for their living room, I had this pillow from their couch (a hand-me-down gift from friends):
Since they essentially have 6 windows to cover in that room---2 double windows and 2 single windows---I weighed the options of buying fabric vs. ready-made. I found these at Wal-Mart for $9.96 a pair and decided to given them a try. First I took one set and split them down the middle, hemming under the ends of the attached valance. Next, I shopped for fringe
and braided trim. (the embellishments actually cost more than the curtains)
And after sewing both to the bottom of the valance and to the tiebacks, this is what I ended up with.Now, on to the bedroom. A couple of weeks ago, I sewed up some pretty brown valances for their bedroom---to go with their brown quilt. However, they have since learned that the window A/C units in their apartment are not especially efficient and are therefore looking for window coverings that offer some bit of insulation--not just mere decoration!

Voila! I took these curtains (also from Wal-Mart for $15/pair)and am adding decorative stitching to the sides.Hopefully, I can get over to Ruston in the next couple of weeks to help them hang them on the windows!
Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature