Sunday, December 26, 2010

Handmade Holidays

Now that the ribbons have been untied and the boxes have been opened, I can share a couple of the other handmade items I made for gifts this year. After seeing Ashley's guest post over at Design Sponge, I knew I wanted to make something similar for each of the girls and myself. While they have both enjoyed journaling off and on over the years, I have always just wished I would journal. This seemed like a neat way to record a few thoughts without having to spend hours at a time.

I bought 5 x 7 ruled index cards and cut them down to 3 x 5 size because I wanted the lines to run horizontally across my cards. It was time-consuming to cut them down, but I really liked the size and they fit perfectly into the baskets I found at Hobby Lobby. (silly me---I only bought 2 baskets and then couldn't find them again when I went back, so I found a small decorative tine at Wal Mart for myself).


I used my date stamp to mark each card. They weren't perfect, but that's okay. Of course, there were some that I totally rejected---notice the day 39?!?!?!


After stamping all the cards, I lined them up in the basket n order. Ashley used vintage postcards as dividers, but I decided to use photos. I dug through my archives and found a few that I really liked and after having them printed, trimmed them down to 3" x 5.25" ( so that they would be slightly larger than the cards themselves).


I found an ink pen that I liked and tied it to the basket handle with my "divine twine". I don't know about you, but my pens always seem to disappear from where I need to use them. This way, at least the lid will be there (and hopefully the pen will be with it). The idea is to add one line each day---it can be an event or a thought or a wish---whatever. As Ashely said, "The first year is the least rewarding, but I imagine that in 10 years, it will be a daily treat to be reminded of what happened on that date over the last decade. "
Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature