Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Greater Gift

Yesterday was the Greater Gift Market for 2010, a Fair Trade market offered at church. This year, I opted to take a bit of a "back seat" rather than be in charge of the whole thing. The booth I was in charge of was from SERRV, a non profit organization with a mission to eradicate poverty wherever it resides by providing opportunity and support to artisans and farmers worldwide.

Weeks ago, I selected merchandise to be sent to us on a consignment basis. Pam and Vickie were my helpers--thank goodness! (here's a pic of Pam and me).


Other organizations represented were 10,000 Villages and Bead For Life---all wonderful groups that represent artisans from around the world.


In addition, we offered alternative gift items in the form of vouchers to purchase farm animals from Heifer Project the Samaritan Counseling Center and our own Food Pantry.
My church has recently begun a community arts program, offering music and art lessons to children and adults for very reasonable prices (and scholarships for anyone unable to pay). We invited the artists to also set up booths and sell their creations.

Brenda Snider's pottery,

Katherine Usher (and another artist, Nan Dozier)


(these were made by Jamie Sanders, who taught the collage class I took last fall--he wouldn't be IN the picture)

The turnout was good--lots of people from the community and everyone seemed pleased with the items offered. After church today, it was time for take-down. Fortunately, we had some volunteers stay to help us clean up and inventory thins, but I'm pooped! After all the trick-or-treaters are gone,(which I've thoroughly enjoyed by the way), I'm hoping to sit in my comfy chair to count the money and balance the receipts!


Be First to Post Comment !
jabblog said...

It sounds most worthwhile and the items are varied and colourful. I hope the amount you raised was pleasingly large.

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature