Tuesday, July 22, 2014

My Happy Place

If you follow my Instagram feed, you know that one of my "happy places" is on the deck in our backyard. I particularly love to eat my breakfast out there when things are quiet and calm and the light is so soft and pretty.  That's another reason I've enjoyed this summer so much.  Since I am not working this summer, I have had time to eat outdoors almost every morning.  AND, I've had time to catch up on reading the blogs that I enjoy!  That is a real treat!
The last few mornings, as I have enjoyed my breakfast over my iPad, I've seen our neighborhood hawks (there are 3 that live in a tree nearby) getting closer and closer.  Lately they've been perching on the wires that criss-cross across our backyards
and even sitting on the rooftop behind me.
Young squirrels in a nearby tree, obviously had not learned the danger they posed as they scampered up and down the tree and around their nest.   Finally, however, their mother (or dad) led them away from the predators into the safety of another tree.
And this morning, this was one brave squirrel!!   The hawk had already made an attempt to catch him earlier, but was unsuccessful, so I guess he decided it was worth the risk to scamper across the wire one more time.
Meanwhile, the hummingbirds have finally arrived!
They aren't yet eating at the backyard feeders, but they've been checking them out.
They are enjoying the red salvia I planted this spring, however.
They also love the fig tree, most likely enjoying a bit of the juice from some of the riper figs.






Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature