Monday, April 14, 2014

Another Saturday in the Yard

This weekend ended up being pretty busy, but rewarding, too.  Saturday morning, our church held its annual Easter Meal for the community.  We've done it for years, and the attendance varies depending on whatever else is going on in town, but it is always a fun time for both attendees and volunteers.

Several of the men of the church work all night and morning to char-grill chicken and the trimmings and a free meal is served to anyone that attends.  There are also clowns, bouncy houses, health screenings and all sorts of fun for families.  This year, Ron and I both worked indoors greeting our neighbors and assisting them to the tables with their plates.  (Ron got called to work just before the event, but he came as soon as he was finished with the job).
After the meal, we made a trip out to Home Depot for some supplies and happened upon this gorgeous display of spring flowers.  I just love the colors and the aroma was just a beautiful as the flowers!

Once home, I began working on the back flowerbed while Ron set to work repairing the old garden bench that has literally been falling apart.

Whew!  This looks SOO much better!   I think we'll actually be able to sit in it now.

The other project was to finish up the trellises by the deck.  The ones that we bought last year are no longer available, so I had to settle for something a little bit different.  Of course, that meant that we had rearrange the ones we carefully set into place last weekend to make it look somewhat balanced.  Of course, that was MY need, not necessarily Ron's, but he complied without too much fussing.  
He had lots of help in the way from Emmi and Joy.
There, that looks so much better and I'm hoping it prevents dogs from running so freely through the flowerbed.
Our flowerbed work continued into the evening.  We dug and pulled and spread until dark and were able to get about half of the bed ready for planting.  The monkey grass that was under the fig tree had totally taken over, so it was hard work getting it all removed.
(While he got me started by breaking up some of the roots, I took a few pictures of my favorite things in the backyard)
I finished digging up all the weeds and breaking up the dirt, then together we laid out weed fabric and mulch.  Here's a little "before" picture of that area:
And here is the "after":
The next (and hopefully last)backyard project for this spring is this end of the flowerbed.  Perhaps we'll actually be able to sit back and enjoy it all when this is complete!

Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature