Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Thelma and Louise - Part Two

The second day of our trip, we headed to the Grand Canyon. Valine had never been there before and it had been about 23 years since I'd been there, so it was basically a new experience for both of us. Even knowing what it looks like from photos in no way prepares you for the vast beauty that is waiting at the first view point. We walked to Mather Point first.


Amazing!!


In every direction!!


Then we walked along the Rim Trail for a while, enjoying the view at other stops.


There were tons of ground squirrels


and beautiful flowers. One of my favorites was the Cliffrose, that hugs the rim of the Canyon.


The weather at the Canyon was absolutely perfect---about 82 degrees and clear skies. We stopped for lunch at El Tovar, the iconic lodge in the National Park. The meal was really good,

but the dessert was amazing!!!! Valine ordered a chocolate taco


and I ordered a Napoleon. Yes, Weight Watchers was put on hold as I enjoyed one of the best desserts I've ever eaten!!

Since we had a 5 hour drive ahead of us, we had to leave the Canyon by late afternoon. It was a wonderful day! We arrived back in Las Vegas and were able to return our rental without incident and caught the shuttle to our hotel. I know Valine was relieved to be out from behind the wheel, but I hope she enjoyed the adventure as much as I did.

post signature

Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature