Saturday, September 5, 2009

Velvet Ribbons

This past week has been so crazy---it seems like I've hardly made it home before 9:00 several nights. So with a long, holiday weekend before me, I was less than enthusiastic when faced with the "challenge" of cleaning out the old ceramic rooms at the church in preparation for our upcoming Community Arts Program. I quickly found other things to do and sent my regrets.

However, guilt got the best of me and since I still have an extra day on Monday, I decided to go and see what I could do to help. It ended up being pretty fun---a sort of treasure hunt in some ways. We sorted and tossed and cleaned and organized for several hours. We still have some work to do, but the room looks so much better now and it was fun to spend some time with some of the local artists who will be teaching classes and such. In the midst of all the junk, there were some treasures-- like photos taken of the ceramics group through the years, a box of vintage aprons, as well as ceramic and craft magazines from the early 60's. Memories of my childhood when I used to get to paint an object or two in the summer floated to the surface as well as reminders of all the work that my mother did in the spring to help out the group. She used to paint facial features on hundreds of miniature animals in preparation for the annual ceramic Easter egg sale (most of the women in the group were elderly and their hands were too shaky to paint the tiny eyes, so my mama was the official "eye painter").

When someone pulled out these boxes from a closet,
I oohed and aahhed and promptly loaded them in my car to bring home.
I also brought home these great bird cards---I think they might be kind of fun in a small tray on my coffee table.Check out this vulture!
Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature