Monday, September 14, 2009

Rural Roads

This year, in addition to my usual school locations, I have been assigned a Head Start located in the extreme northern part of our parish. That means that I'll be putting lots of extra miles on my car during the next few months. After filling up with gas and programming my GPS (thanks again, Jana and Rob), I set out. The weather was definitely less than desirable this morning, but it was still a nice drive. I've only been to this particular center once and that was about 10 years ago. Back then, I remember getting directions from a co-worker. They went something like this: "turn right at the oil rig and go down until you see a couch on the side of the road (there will be a dog sitting on the couch). Turn at the first road to the right after the couch. " This morning, I discovered that you still turn right at the oil rig, but Nancy Navigator (a name Dan dubbed my GPS system recently) actually gave me street names, too. The roads were completely paved this time and the center had grown to include 4 classrooms and nice playground.

After meeting the teachers and kids and doing a little testing, it was soon time to head back. I stopped at Wal-Mart to get a cold Diet Coke (it's been a long time since I've been in one that wasn't a Super Wal-Mart) and stopped at the Caddo Lake Park to eat my peanut butter cracker lunch. A big storm was blowing in, but it was so nice to sit for a few minutes with the windows down, overlooking the lake. As a teenager, I used to swim at this same location (it was kind of creepy to swim in even back then).And just FYI: Caddo Lake was the site of the first off-shore oil well ever to be drilled
Be First to Post Comment !
JJB said...

I love that 2nd photo of the lake. Pretty eery looking.

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature