Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pomp and Circumstance

Just like the rest of the country, we are in the throes of graduation ceremonies around here.  There are several invitations hanging on my fridge right now and I've attended two events in the past week.

This morning, I participated in the "Transition Program" for the Head Start I work with.   The festivities were held at a nearby church and the parents and grandparents were so excited.
I helped get everyone dressed in their caps and gowns and then went to be seated so that I could take a photos of them marching down the aisle.



I imagine that aisle must have looked mighty long to their four-year-old eyes!   More than one froze when their turn came to march. . .





. . . while a few walked down confidently to the crowd of parents.





The audience crowded around to get pictures and videos of the songs and chants they performed, some showing off knowledge of numbers and alphabet and others just for fun.   (this one was "5 Green Speckled Frogs")



While not everyone was happy about the program . . .



 . . . most were thrilled with the idea of being dressed up and celebrating!





In contrast, Thursday night I helped celebrate graduates of the Adult Renewal Academies around town.   This year, 25 people were recognized for receiving their GED certificates---



and 16 of those were from the Adult Learning Center at my church!!!!  



It was really amazing to hear their stories



and feel their pride.



As the speaker, Fire Chief Louis Johnson said, "These adults have made a conscious decision to rescue themselves."   What an awesome accomplishment!!!


Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature