Saturday, January 23, 2010

Callie, Don't Peek!!!!

Last year, Callie's birthday was kind of lost in the medical emergency involving my daddy. While I had plans to make her something special, and even had made a good start, the need to be at the hospital every free moment for weeks on end meant that I never got to complete the project.

This year, however, I am determined to get it done and present it to her next week. She went with me to a fabric shop a year or so ago and we discovered that she was really drawn to graphic patterns and circles in particular. I should have known this considering that Kandinsky is one of her favorite artists and she chose this painting of Concentric Circles for her dorm room a few years back.

I knew that I wanted this project to be colorful and have some graphic shapes in it, so I chose this free pattern from Moda to be the basis of my project. As I gathered the patterned fabrics, I made sure to choose some that were circles and other geometric shapes. I really liked this fabric I found at Hancock's last year---it looks so happy and carefree to me. I decided to use it for a narrow border around the whole thing and for the back.And I started sewing! 

Some of the stitches are kind of "wonky", but I finally finished and I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. I hope Callie likes it, too--her birthday is this week, so I'll show you the finished product after I give it to her . . . .just in case she's peeking.

Be First to Post Comment !
debbie said...

I can't wait to see it!!! I love the fabrics

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature