Friday, February 5, 2010

Oh When The Saints . . .

Saints fever is definitely in full swing around here!!! I've never quite seen anything like it in this area before. Of course, the Saints have never gone to the Super Bowl before either! Today was officially "Saints Day" here at most of the schools and around the city. At each school I visited today, everyone from the tiniest students to the oldest teachers were decked out in black and gold. I even saw Saints shirts being sold on a busy street corner.
(iPhone photos)
I wore a black shirt to school today, but decided that perhaps I need to "step it up" a bit and get more in the spirit. In fact, this seems like the perfect time to try out the freezer paper painting technique I've been reading about here and here and even over here. I picked up this long-sleeve tee at Hobby Lobby for just $3.99. . .Gathered a few supplies that I already had on hand (I ended up using plain black acrylic rather than this screen printing paint) . . .. . . and set to work.I cut out a fleur de lis from the freezer paper and ironed it to the front of the shirt.
I mixed some gold acrylic paint with some textile medium that I've had in a box for many years---don't know if that kind of stuff goes bad, but I gave it a try.After that layer dried, I ironed on a second stencil that was slightly smaller and painted it with black paint.This was a super easy project and I'm pretty pleased with the results.
I think I'll dress for Mardi Gras tomorrow (the first parade is tomorrow night) and save this shirt for Sunday afternoon.

Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature