Finally, this was the year I've been able to remodel the computer room/guest/Dan's bedroom. Several weeks ago, Jordan was able to devote 5 days (give or take a few) to the project and it was looking great!
After debating about what kind of desktop to use, Jordan and I finally decided that he would build it himself with nice oak lumber that I purchased. He did an awesome job!
I stained it dark.
Ron and I bought paint and got to work on the walls, ceiling and woodwork. It was already primed white, so that made the job much easier.
I really wanted to add a clear, hard finish to the top, but my experience with polyurethane has not been great and I wanted something less sticky and more durable. I decided to take a risk and try out Glaze Coat--an epoxy resin formula that you mix together and spread on. But, I was chicken! I read the directions numerous times and thought about the procedure for several days before actually tackling the project.
Ron helped. He mixed while I watched the timer, then we both spread at the same time because it is such a large surface and time is limited when working with the product.
First we did a "sealer coat". (Ron blew out any bubbles on the surface).
That went well and within 24 hours it was ready for the top coat. This time we weren't worried. We mixed and spread and waited. And waited. And waited.
While the finish looks great, only about 2/3 of the desk actually cured properly. The other 1/3 is left with a slightly "tacky" feel. I searched online for any instructions or troubleshooting information I could find, but came up completely blank. So, I found an email address of what I THOUGHT was the company and sent them a letter asking for advice as to how to proceed.
They were prompt in their response and after a few emails back and forth for clarification about the process we used, etc., they gave me instructions of how to HOPEFULLY fix it! It involves sanding, wiping, re-mixing and a new spread. We're trying that tonight---keep your fingers crossed that this time it works the way it is supposed to!!