Monday, February 2, 2009

My Father's Hands

A few years back, I was in charge of a committee at church that put together a devotional booklet for members of our congregation to use during the season of Lent. Writing has never been my best talent, but I did write a short devotional for one of those publications. The last few days, as I have sat for hours in the ICU waiting room waiting for word on my Daddy, I keep recalling one that I wrote in 2004. Here it is:

"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." Psalm 139:9-10

When I was a little girl, it was always a treat to go downtown on Saturdays to visit my Daddy's office. While he and my mother worked, we kids amused ourselves with a variety of intriguing office supplies. Since his office was on the tenth floor, it was great fun to ride up and down in the elevator, and having three older brothers meant that I got twirled in the swivel desk chair until I was dizzy.

But my favorite memories are of the times that I went to the office with my Daddy alone! On those special Satrudays, it was much quieter in the office. I don't really remember what I did to amuse myself, but, I do remember holding my Daddy's hand to walk across Marshall Street to the Lane Building and holding it again when we crossed the alley next to the building. I remember loving the way that felt--safe, secure, my small hand in his much larger hand--as he guided me safely across the street to the other side. Through the years, his hand has always been there for me; lending me strength, helpig me up and reminding me of his love and support.

Our Heavenly Father's hand is like that, too. When we need extra guidance, protection from the "traffic" of our lives, or just that secure feeling of knowing that someone loves us, we can always turn to God. His hand is always there for us if we just reach out to him.
Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature