Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Summer is Here!

"Ah, summer-what power you have to make us suffer and like it." --Russell Baker

Well, I know that if you look at the calendar, summer has not yet officially arrived. That date is still a week or so away. But, this evening, when I let Emmi out I saw the unmistakable evidence that summer has indeed made it to Shreveport.


When we first went out the back door, I caught a glimmer of something out of the corner of my eye. As I looked in that direction to investigate, it was gone. Maybe I was mistaken---maybe it was a reflection off the storm door. But, no! A few seconds later there it was again. . . in a different spot. And then another. . . . and another. . . Fireflies!!! Or lightning bugs as we called them in my youth.

I have such great memories of spending long summer evenings out in our big backyard catching lightning bugs. And when we went camping, we'd poke a few holes in the top of a clean pickle jar and fill it with the ones we'd caught, hoping that they would serve as a lantern for us if we caught enough.
Of course, that never happened---we generally let them go after a few hours. But, the fascination with them hasn't stopped. Before I knew it this evening, I found that I'd spent longer than I'd realized just watching their flickers in random spots around the yard.

Yep, summer's here. Must be almost time for watermelon, too.
Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature