Thursday, November 1, 2012

Weekend In New England - part 1

I don't know what happened to the original version of this post, but it first appeared with no pictures at all and then just disappeared completely, so here it goes again.   While our official "fall break" comes this weekend, I took my own a few weeks ago by checking off another item from my bucket list---see the fall foliage in New England.   I began thinking about it back in the spring, then when I began making the actual arrangements, was excited that Don & Sally and Ron wanted to join me as I visited David in Albany and toured the area.  Ron and I drove down to Alexandria to catch our flight--it's such a nice airport and SOO much cheaper than flying out of Shreveport (which is just crazy in my opinion--but then, who asked?)

We were joined by Don & Sally on the second leg of the flight, arriving just in time for a great meal at the "Ginger Man" in Albany.   Friday morning, we awoke to a gentle rainfall and walked down the block to get coffee and hot chocolate at Starbuck's---the first of what became our morning routine.

Soon afterwards, Don and Sally came to the house and we loaded into David's car with rain gear in hand.   Good thing because it rained ALL.  DAY.  LONG!!   We headed towards the Hudson Valley area and ended up in Woodstock, NY, which was  NOT the site of the music festival because of the town's objections to all the wildness.  Woodstock was quaint and pretty and we enjoyed a meal at Joshua's, where I had the most wonderful whole wheat berry pancakes!!  We also walked around a little bit, stopping in a couple of shops along the way.

After that, we headed to Olana, the Persian style home of Hudson Valley artist Frederic Church.  It rained really hard there so the only photos I have are from my phone.


From there, we visited Cedar Grove, the home and studio of another Hudson Valley artist, Thomas Cole. You can learn more about Thomas Cole here.

In the evening, we celebrated Kathryn's birthday along with David's girls, Leslie and Laura, at Blue Spice.  Ron and I had never been to a Thai restaurant before, so I was a little concerned about sitting on the floor at the low tables, but I shouldn't have worried.  After taking off our shoes as instructed, we discovered a recessed area under the tables for our legs to dangle, so it was quite comfortable.  And the food was wonderful!  I enjoyed Pineapple Chicken Fried Rice, while Ron had a Shrimp Salad.

Be First to Post Comment !

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature