Wednesday, October 10, 2012

This past weekend was a really good weekend.   While I've touched on parts of it (the 5K race), there was so much more.  Ron had originally planned to go hunting this past weekend, so he had taken off work on Friday.  When the hunting plans fell through, that left him with a free day, so I met him at Norton's during my lunch break.  Ron packed a picnic and we enjoyed it among the plants and streams.  It was so nice and relaxing, it was hard to leave to go back to work. 

















That night, we grilled pizzas and enjoyed them out on the deck.  The hummingbirds must have been hiding someplace a little warmer this time.

















For dessert, I made Cinnamon Popcorn, and we munched on it while we watched a movie.  So Yummy!!

















Saturday morning was race time and I guess I got a touch of "runner's high" after that because I became quite the busy bee around the kitchen.   I know that for most people it takes 15 miles or so, but for me, running my first 5K did it!    I'd been wanting to try out these freezer crock pot meals I'd seen over on Pinterest.



After a trip to the grocery store, I began chopping, peeling and bagging.  

















I actually love to chop vegetables for some reason, and my new chopper from Pampered Chef made that job really easy.   I was so busy chopping that Ron had to go pick up Callie at the airport!   The recipes I followed made ten meals for us that are now neatly stacked in the freezer awaiting the crock pot.  I'll let you know what I think after we try them out!
***Tried the BBQ chicken last night and it was really good***

































Saturday evening, the LSU vs. Florida game was on TV, but by that time, I was beginning to crash and actually ended up falling asleep during parts of the game.  I guess a Runner's High can only last for so long.

Ron had the idea of having another picnic after church on Sunday afternoon.  While I was at church, he packed the lunches and after bundling up for the cool temperatures, we headed out to the Red River Wildlife Refuge.  When we arrived, we were the only people there and it was so nice!  We picnic'ed by the lake.


















In addition to our sandwiches, enjoyed some of the pecans that were all over the ground (yes, I know it is probably against the law to pick up pecans at a center like this, but . . . ).  

















Along the way, we saw lots of footprints---raccoon, skunk, deer and some that we later learned were from a bobcat.  

















The walk around the lake was about 3.5 miles and I loved seeing all the flowers and butterflies along the way.  We kept our eyes open for wood ducks, but they have much better ears than we do and always fled before I could get a photo. 











































After a quick tour of the visitor's center (which is REALLY nice), we went down to the Revel site to watch and listen as Callie and Jordan performed with their church's praise band. 

















You can't go to the Revel without sampling some of the food, so we shared an order of fried crawfish tails that was delish!!  It was really cold that evening, so we headed home in time to be able to watch the Saints game.  

The weekend was so great--from beginning to end!







Be First to Post Comment !
debbie said...


Glad you are having such a great time! BBQ chicken recipe I want it..will you send it???

Deb

Linda said...

Thx, Deb! Yes, I'll send the recipe!

JJB said...

somehow i missed this post from a couple of weeks back... looks like a fun weekend... you got some great photos at the nature center...

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature